Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Relying on God

This week was super busy. Sister Kelly is now Sister Training Leader so we had Mission Leadership Council, zone training, and exchanges this week. So basically a lot of meetings. They were all really good though! 

So I've been trying to be better about setting goals. This week I set a goal to rely more on the Lord. This goal comes from the Christ like Attribute humility. I've been studying humility this week. It has been amazing to see how important humility is as I've been reading the war chapters in Alma. The Nephites were at war with the Lamanites, a war that seemed to never end. However, the Nephites were continually able to defeat the Lamanites despite the fact their armies were so much smaller than the Lamanites. Alma 58:37, "..We trust God will deliver us, notwithstanding the weakness of our armies, yea, and deliver us out of the hands of our enemies."   The difference was they rely on God to deliver and protect them. 

What stood out to me the most in my studies was the story of the 2,000 Stripling Warriors. Their fathers had made a covenant with God they would never fight a war again, but would die rather than fight with another person. Their sons showed great humility and took the place of their fathers in defending their people and the Nephites. They said in Alma 58:46-47, 

46 For as I had ever called them my sons (for they were all of them very young) even so they said unto me: Father, behold our God is with us, and he will not suffer that we should fall; then let us go forth; we would not slay our brethren if they would let us alone; therefore let us go, lest they should overpower the army of Antipus.

47 Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them.

I love this because they truly had learned to rely on the Lord and this is something I've been striving to do. This week we had two instances where I was able to do this. I'll start with the second one. 

On Wednesday Sister Kelly and I went on exchanges, and I had to plan a practice lesson by myself. I was also senior companion, so I had to lead the discussion in Korean. I was able to apply what I learned and trust God would help me. It went great! I was able to be guided by the spirit in what I should say. The Lord was there to lift me up when I struggled. I know as we rely on him, we will feel his love and his guidance. He is just a pray away.

The first instance happened on Monday after grocery shopping. With grocery shopping in Korea, we put the food in a box and carry it back to our apartment. We had to get a pretty big box, and it was too heavy for me to carry. So Sister Kelly, being the best trainer she is carried it. I carried the eggs and the bread. It was fine at first. We made it on the bus, but then we had to transfer to another bus which was about a ten minute walk without a big heavy box. So we began walking to the next bus stop. And you know what happened...The box began to fall apart. I didn't know what to do so I prayed with all my heart someone would help us. Sister Kelly was praying too. So we continued down the longest street in the world with a big heavy box.  And when Sister Kelly was about to give up, the Lord answered us in the form of an old grandmother. At first she offered to carry the box, but we weren't going to let her do that. So instead she offer to carry the eggs so I could help Sister Kelly with the box. God really does hear and answer our prayers. We were able to make it the rest of the way. The box became so disfigured that we were able to stick the eggs in there and carry the box the rest of the way together. 

I'm so grateful to God and for him teaching me to rely on him. Have a wonderful week and remember he is always there! 

Sister Mustain
 
These are the groceries!
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment