Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Just Keep on Trying

Since Sister Kelly is Sister Training Leader we went on exchanges again this week. Sister Kelly went to the other sisters area and I stayed in ours. This meant I became senior companion for 24 hours. I had to use more Korean than I'm used to!

In a way this was a blessing. I have been learning a lot of Korea, and I can speak it. However, I've been lacking the confidence to speak it. Being the senior companion, I had to start conversations at our appointments and let them know we had to go. It was hard, but I'm so grateful I had the chance to struggle. I even learned to text in Korean. 

I had other chances to test my Korean throughout the week. On Saturday our district did a proselyting activity in which we all went out and talked to people in the same area and met back up for lunch with our ward mission leader. Through this I got a lot of practice talking to people because Sister Kelly pushed me to talk. She gave me the boost of confidence I needed. It didn't lead to anything, but it helped me realize how much I really know. 

On Sunday we did phone calls, and guess who started them? That's right, me. Sister Kelly wrote down what I needed to say, I practiced the sentences, and then we called. I was super nervous, but it turned out just fine. The worst thing that happened was they hung up. It wasn't as scary as I thought and I'm starting to become more comfortable at being a missionary, because frankly being a missionary is awkward. 

This morning I was reading in Helaman about Samuel the Lamanite. God told him to go and preach the gospel to the Nephites, but they wouldn't let him into their city. So what did he do? He didn't just leave and say "I'm done. I’m tried." He got up on the wall of the city and began to preach to the people. Helaman 13:4:

“And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart.”

This is not only the kind of missionary I want to be, but it is also the type of person I want to become. Someone who keeps on trying. I know as we strive to become like Samuel and never give up, the Lord will bless us. I'm so grateful for Samuel's example. I'm grateful for this week and the strength it has given me to keep on trying. 

Mustain 자매

                                                                                                                            
 

No comments:

Post a Comment