Friday, May 1, 2015

News Flash! Missionary Work is Hard!

 
Well... this week went by faster than I could blink. We had zone conference on Tuesday, and the opening of a new stake center. 

In an effort to create larger wards in Korea, they built a new stake center (which is larger and nicer than most building in the US). As a result we had to do proselyting for that.  There was a cultural night (where we had to perform), an open house, and stake conference. So you could say we were busy this week. 

Tuesday was Zone Conference and it was a lot of fun. We learned about how to become better teachers and how if we are inviting others to come unto Christ we need to either be there or working to get there. It was spiritually uplifting and we were able to visit a few historical sights. 

This week I learned how hard it is emotionally to be a missionary. Being a missionary isn't easy. It requires patience, love, compassion, humility, faith, and energy. By the end of the day I'm ready to hit that pillow. However, it is bringing me closer to Christ and his atonement. In my mission there are times when we don't have a lot of lessons because people are busy or won't respond, but that doesn't mean we aren't doing anything. I've be struggling with this and I was talking with Sister Kelly about it the other day. I finally realized  I was focusing a little too much on numbers as a measure of our success. Success is not based on numbers, it is based on the moments that bring someone closer to Christ. 

There is a less active in our ward from the Philippians and she married a Korean. Her husband is currently an investigator for the Elders. They visit his family on Sundays so it is hard for them to get to church, but yesterday she came to stake conference. I consider that a result of success. She is coming unto Christ, although she isn't an investigator her progression is great in the eyes of the Lord. I know even though I may not have a lot of baptisms it doesn't mean I'm a failure as a missionary. Sister Kelly showed me a talk given at the Provo MTC by Elder Holland that related to this.  He said;

"Anyone who does any kind of missionary work will have occasion to ask, why is this so hard? Why can’t our success be more rapid? Why aren’t there more people joining the Church? Why isn’t the only risk in missionary work that of pneumonia from being soaking wet all day and all night in the baptismal font?

I have thought about this a great deal. I offer this as my personal feeling. I am convinced that missionary work is not easy because salvation is not a cheap experience. Salvation never was easy. We are The Church of Jesus Christ, this is the truth, and He is our Great Eternal Head. How could we believe it would be easy for us when it was never, ever easy for Him?"

This helped me to understand missionary work is hard, but life is hard as well. Christ understands what I'm going through. These past few weeks have flown by and everyone keeps telling me it will go even fast. I know I needed to be on this mission to draw closer to my Savior. I know as you pray and study about the Atonement, you too can draw closer to him. I love you all and am so blessed to be on a mission. I know through prayer we will receive blessings. This week I prayed it wouldn't rain for zone conference and it didn't. He hears and answers our prays.

I have been reading in Mosiah about King Limhi and his people. I read that even though they were trying to be righteous and repent, God didn't immediately free them from bondage. He knew they needed to learn something from it before they could draw closer to him. I'm so grateful for my weakness because through it, I can be made strong. 

Have a wonderful week and don't forget to trust in God and Our Savior, Jesus Christ! 

Sister Mustain
 


\

No comments:

Post a Comment